CSIR Internship Vacancies in S.Africa April 2018
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organization, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
The CSIR has Internship opportunities in the National Centre for Nano-Structured Materials within the Materials Science and Manufacturing Unit.
The purpose of the internship is to equip newly graduates with the practical work experience and provide them with exposure to the catalysis research for renewable chemical synthesis, synthesis of nanomaterial catalysts, catalysts characterization, and testing project.
These positions are based in Pretoria.
- Under supervision, the interns will be required to be involved in the following research activities:
- Conduct literature searches for research projects;
- Conduct experimental work in the laboratory;
- Assist researchers and operators where needed;
- Operate catalysis research equipment (e.g. autoclave reactor, hydrothermal nanomaterials catalysts synthesis, catalytic material testing in chemical reaction processes, etc. – training will be provided);
- Compile reports and other project related documents;
- General housekeeping of the research laboratories.
- Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- AB-Tech degree in chemistry or BSc (Hons) in chemistry; OR
- An MTech degree in chemistry or MSc degree in chemistry;
- Research knowledge in nanomaterials and/or catalysis and organic chemical synthesis will be an advantage;
- Communication and presentation skills;
- Research and report-writing skills;
- Problem-solving, solution-seeking orientation;
- A goal-oriented approach;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Computer literacy.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.