Food Editor vacancy in Johannesburg, Randburg, Craighall Park June 2018
|Location:||Johannesburg, Randburg, Craighall Park|
|Own transport required:||Yes|
Caxton Magazines is looking for an experienced food editor to join their dedicated, collaborative, creative, quirky team that loves food, cooking, eating, editing and nerding out about recipes. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating compelling content and overseeing the full scope of the production process of recipes and cooking instructions and guidance from concept to publication. You are a food pro, versatile editor, strong (and speedy!) writer, curious, considerate, and connected who will create compelling food content that reflects our brands style and vibe.
- Contribute to editorial and features idea on food, entertaining and baking.
- Create compelling food content that appeals to the brands audience.
- Oversee the process of pitching, developing, testing, styling, and publication of original recipes.
- Develop, write, and test recipes.
- Style food for photo shoots in collaboration with the editor, art department and photographer.
- Source props and/or locations for food photo shoots.
- Edit recipes and text for clarity, voice, and magazine style.
- Manage contributing food stylists and recipe developers to assist with the development and writing of food content, including line editing all recipe content.
- Create, maintain, and develop best practices and style guide around recipe and cooking content.
- Demonstrate recipe preparation in public forums, such as at food expos and augmented reality/online videos.
- Responsible for managing and mentoring the cooking assistant.
- Represent the brand at functions, product launches and award ceremonies (including after hours) with the intention of cultivating relevant editorial relationships in the food space.
- Keep abreast of current food trends and competitors’ content.
- Undertake and manage special projects as and when required by the editor and commercial team.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant hospitality qualification.
- Valid driver’s license and own transport.
- Minimum three years’ food writing, styling and/or editing experience.
- Minimum five years consumer magazine experience with at least three years focusing on food content.
- Experience within a food publication, culinary school, restaurant or test kitchen.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A sound knowledge of recipe ingredient measuring systems and recipe writing and testing.
- A keen interest in cooking, baking and entertaining as well as the latest kitchen gadgets, restaurants and trends in the local and global food industry.
- Demonstrated digital editorial experience, with a focus on food and recipes.
- Strong, distinctive voice, with an ability to write for the brands audience.
- Eye for current trends in food, especially for a national audience.
- Must be detail and deadline oriented with excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team and thrive in fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage, mentor and motivate team.
- Must be commercially astute in respect of content that sells.