June 2018 – Studies in Poverty and Inequality Institute New Position
Studies in Poverty and Inequality Institute (SPII) is a nonprofit research and advocacy think tank committed to advancing the Constitution and the eradication of poverty and inequality in South Africa and the sub-region.
Job Title: Researcher
Job Location: Johannesburg
Salary: R320 000 to R360 000 total cost to company, depending on qualifications and experience
Start date: 01 August 2018 (or sooner if possible)
This is a full time fixed term contract of 12 months.
The purpose of the position is to work across a number of our key projects, all of which are aligned to our focus on the reduction of poverty and inequality in South Africa through the realisation of the transformative socio-economic rights in the Constitution.
- Work with the Director, work with popularising socio-economic rights already undertaken by SPII
- Work closely with the Director to define SPII’s work on supporting civil society government budget analysis coordination and training
- Manage research interns as required from time to time
- Engage in networking and profile raising of SPII by participating in relevant workshops, conferences and stakeholder meetings.
- Develop funding proposals and other reports as requested by management
- Masters degree in human rights/constitutional law, politics, economics, development or related field
- Minimum of three years’ work experience in one or more of the above fields, with good references
- Understanding of human rights law and the role of the Constitution in South African democracy, particularly in relation to socio-economic rights
- Motivated to work independently and as a member of a small team
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and take a proactive approach to work
- Communication skills, confidence to speak in public and with stakeholders
- Commitment to the values of SPII and a passion for social justice
- Exceptional English writing skills are essential
- Ability to communicate in at least one other South African language is an advantage
To apply, submit a short CV, two examples of research writing and a motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
SPII is committed to Employment Equity and will give preference to historically disadvantaged South African applicants.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Interviews will take place in Johannesburg.
Application Deadline: 27th June, 2018