Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA) Jobs in S.Africa 2018
The Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa (ISLA) is a feminist and Pan-African organisation that is founded on the belief that strategic litigation is a tool for social change because it helps to reframe the understanding of entitlements before the law.
Job Title: Senior Lawyer / Lawyer
Job Location: Johannesburg
The successful candidate will not only provide leadership in the Sexual Rights program but will also actively participate in other programs within the organisation that seeks to advance its aims. This person will work closely with other program lawyers, legal researchers, interns, and ISLA’s partners as well as provide thought leadership on other initiatives that will drive strategy. As such experience contributing to strategic and operational planning of the organisation and to organizational development is essential.
The position reports to ISLA’s Executive Director and is based in South Africa.
As the central ISLA office is based in Johannesburg, regular travel to the central office will be needed should the person be based in another country or city.
Salary: This position offers a competitive salary, up to R850 000, per annum, (total cost to company, and commensurate with experience
- Facilitating capacity strengthening workshops on ISLA’s programmes, international human rights law, and practice;
- Providing support for interns, volunteers and staff members as needed;
- Representing the ISLA and its programmes as required; and
- Supporting the work of ISLA’s programmes as is required.
- An ability to make a strategic and dynamic approach to the use of law as a tool for the promotion of human rights and can demonstrate this;
- A legal degree and is admitted to legal practice in any African country;
- Command of the English language
- Strong research capacity and exceptional writing skills;
- A keen analytical ability;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Substantial experience using constitutional, regional and international human rights law, with preference to candidates who have had such experience in litigation;
- An in-depth or sophisticated understanding of international and comparative human rights mechanisms, and institutions;
- Knowledge and understanding of women’s human rights and feminist analysis;
- Fundraising experience, including demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with individual donors, this will be beneficial;
- Be required to undertake at least 10 out of country trips per year in order to provide support in the countries that ISLA operates in.
Preference will be given to qualifying applicants who:
- Are black women;
- Have an advanced degree in human rights, gender or other relevant subjects;
- Have supervisory or management experience;
- Have experience in coordinating and managing projects and demonstrate evidence of being a self-driven, resourceful person who is able to manage and coordinate teamwork well;
- Have experience in contributing to the overall strategic planning of an organisation; and
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times and to all persons, a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude.
To apply, click this link application form and send the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not send us your CV, cover letter or other documents that we have not requested.
Only online application form that appears on the link above will be considered.
Application Deadline: 20th July, 2018