Treatment Action Campaign Job Opportunity in S.Africa 2018
Career vacancy : Research Officer Job Description
Jobs Employment : Treatment Action Campaign Recruitment position
The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) engages in monitoring, advocacy and access to quality comprehensive prevention, treatment, care and support services to live a healthy life.
Job Title: Research Officer
Job Location: To be based in Gauteng
The purpose of this position is to carry out evidence-based research, analysis and policy positioning and subsequent dissemination of that information to support TAC campaigns. This includes:
- Policy research and development;
- Local, national, international policy monitoring;
- Dissemination of information publicly;
- Training and development of TAC staff and members.
- Carry out policy research and development on health, science, legal, social and political issues relevant to TAC;
- Monitoring the state of the healthcare system and implementation of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, TB and STIs;
- Dissemination of key research information into the public domain to support TAC campaigns;
- Training and development of TAC members and staff based on the issues outlined in the Research and Policy Strategy;
- Design, coordinate and conduct research studies that are relevant to or commissioned by the TAC leadership;
- Develop sound technical briefs to influence shifts in policy, practice and strategic shifts in the area of HIV/AIDS intervention programmes;
- Provide technical and managerial oversight to all research and evaluation study processes as well as consultants’ performance (when required);
- Keep abreast of developments around research and evaluation approaches to ensure the application of these take place in TAC’s research and evaluation methods;
- Contribute to TAC’s Knowledge Management and M&E functions and practices, ensuring that key research issues are included (including statistics and trends) and ensuring synergy across departments and functions;
- Pro-actively seek new resources with TAC knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation to strengthen TAC’s links with member organisations, relevant bodies, institutions and stakeholders.
- Minimum graduate degree in Social Science, Public Health, Economics, Science, Medicine or other relevant field;
- Excellent proficiency in English – another South African language will be beneficial;
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the South African public healthcare system, the HIV and TB responses, and relevant science related to HIV and TB;
- Knowledge of South Africa’s governance system, policy development and legal system;
- Strong proven experience in research or investigative data collection;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: preferably with previous communication experience;
- Ability to translate complex information – such as clinical studies, research papers and surveys – into simple, accessible material;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to use online platforms such as WordPress (website), MailChimp (online mailing), and social media platform;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and under pressure;
- Good healthy work ethic and able to work to deadline;
- Adaptable and flexible during pressurised times;
- Able to trouble shoot and deal with urgent matters speedily.
The closing date for all applications is the 31 July 2018.
To apply, submit your cover letter, detailed CV, copy of a valid driver’s license, matric certificate, qualifications and 3 contactable references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact will be made with shortlisted candidates.
Treatment Action Campaign is guided by principles of employment equity; women and people with disability are encouraged to apply.