Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) Job Opportunity Diepsloot, Johannesburg Aug 2018
Legal Jobs in South Africa : Paralegal/Legal Officer vacancy
Career vacancy : Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) Job Description
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in the northern part of Johannesburg. We provide direct legal and psychosocial services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV), including sexual violence, domestic violence, and child abuse. LvA works closely with local state actors, including police officers, prosecutors, clerks, magistrates, and government health officials. LvA is also involved in empowerment-based community engagement initiatives school and community workshops.
Job Title: Paralegal/Legal Officer
Job Location: Diepsloot, Johannesburg
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications
- Assist clients in obtaining protection orders including the initial application, advising on submission and service, and supporting clients through final hearing
- Provide comprehensive support in criminal cases including accompany client to court, regular engagement with police officers, prosecutors and other court personnel to ensure the law is being applied accurately and effectively
- Maintain client files and update database
- Provide general legal advice and make referrals to other service providers as needed
- Engage with local state actors and community stakeholders as needed for purposes of relationship strengthening, accountability, and capacity building as needed
- Work closely with therapists to implement LvA’s integrated services model
- Write reports and other documentation
- Paralegal qualification and/or LLB degree
- Minimum of two years’ experience providing direct legal services within a community-based setting
- Experience working with victims of gender-based violence or other vulnerable populations preferred
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and / or Tshivenda
- Flexibility, strong leadership skills, a clear sense of purpose, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team
- Analytical skills
- Oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Late applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
Application Deadline: 17 August, 2018