DAI Recruitment for Junior Accountant South Africa 2018
DAI seeks a Junior Accountant for the DAI implemented USAID Southern Africa Trade and Investment Hub (The Hub) project, a five year with three-year remaining trade facilitation project for Southern Africa. The Hub expected to increase global competitiveness and intra-regional trade and improve food security in Southern Africa. Anticipated project activities include efforts to support national and regional bodies to facilitate intra-regional trade of agricultural commodities and economic integration, facilitate improved private sector competitiveness in key value chains, and expand trade through utilization of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA).
Job Title: Junior Accountant
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Junior Accountant will have no supervisory responsibilities
Base of Operations: Pretoria, South Africa
Reporting: The Junior Accountant will report to the Senior Accountant
Objectives and Responsibilities
The Junior Accountant will play a pivotal role in assuring adherence to financial policies, project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems. The Junior Accountant will provide accounting and financial analysis support to the project office and will ensure submission of financial reports based on internal deadlines. This position will ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions. Responsible for recording costs and day to day general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, risk management, managing partner relationships, assuring all backup documentation is audit ready, and troubleshooting accounting issues. The individual is also responsible for cash flow analyses, and the overall financial well-being of the project. Specific responsibilities include:
- Follows and maintains accounting policies and practices are carried out in accordance with DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations and the terms of the contract
- Responsible for entering the invoices, checks, advances and reimbursements in DAI accounting systems accurately and on daily basis
- Supervises periodic cash counts
- Process/capture petty cash and local currency transactions on FAS
- Verifies vendor invoices for accuracy
- Prepares vendor payments and ensure these are submitted in a timely manner
- Processing travel and other expense claims
- Compiles backup documentation for all project related transactions, and ensures completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented
- Filing of payment vouchers and ensuring proof of payment (POP) are attached.
- Uploads voucher and backup documentation to relevant system according to set deadlines
- Responsible for maintaining file management systems for soft and hard copy documentation
- Uploads bi monthly FAS preview and final extracts to TAMIS and Oracle
- Adhering to DAI finance department deadlines
- Maintain a proper filing system at all times
- Other duties assigned by the Senior Accountant
- National Diploma in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent
- 3+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing USAID funded projects
- Experience leading and managing the financial aspects of USAID projects, including a demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG contracting regulations
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.)
- Demonstrated report writing skills in English is required
Send applications, including a cover letter, CV and three references, to SATIH-Recruitment@dai.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Closing date: October 26, 2018.