Freedom House Recruitment in Johannesburg October 2018
Freedom House is a nongovernmental human rights organisation based in Washington DC, with a regional office for Southern Africa based in Johannesburg. Through the Justice as a Right in Southern Africa (JARSA) programme, Freedom House seeks to strengthen the rule of law, promote judicial independence and protect human rights in the SADC region.
Job Title: Communications and Social Media Programme Associate
Job Location: Johannesburg
This is a full-time position.
The purpose of the Communications and Social Media Programme Associate is to provide digital communications support, with an emphasis on social media, to the Southern Africa Programmes in Johannesburg. He/she works collaboratively with the field-based Southern Africa staff and in-country partners. He/she will take the lead in creating graphics and social media posts, supporting Facebook Live events, developing marketing materials and some written content to support and enhance Freedom House’s project ‘Promoting Civic Education and Participation in South Africa.’
- Research, develop, and implement a detailed social media strategy and adjust that strategy over time as analytics dictate and the political environment changes
- Based on project objectives and at the direction of the Project Director and Program Officer, create engaging social media posts for election-related programs
- Monitor on-line project conversations and respond appropriately
- Provide a dashboard that contains all conversation feedback and update weekly
- Create and manage social media campaigns, activities and competitions
- Review successful content and apply learnings to future strategies
- Develop a tracking system for related analytics
- Day-to-day general administrative tasks
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree in Communications, Marketing, or related field
- Minimum of three to five years’ relevant communications experience, with at least two years in digital / social media
- Fluency with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Whatsapp, and preparing video, graphic, and text material for these channels
- Ability to use targeting and segmenting functions in all social media to ensure that the programme is reaching its key populations in the most efficient manner
- Ability to generate reach through organic and paid engagements
- Ability to interpret social media analytics to determine if target populations are reached
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, think outside the box, and translate complex topics into everyday language
- Ability to analyse data and current social media algorithms to determine the best social media platform to reach different groups
- Ability to work independently, while also working as an effective team member
- Understand and demonstrate competence in using the main commercial social media channels used by the majority of young South Africans, including management and analytics.
- Strong ability to plan, organise, prioritise work and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
- Research, analytical, writing, and organisational skills
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, knowledge of other South African languages a plus
- Written communication skills, especially the ability to write in different voices
- Interest in issues of human rights, democracy promotion, youth political engagement, and other related issues
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, or equivalent software
To apply, complete an online application at https://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FREEHOUS&cws=1&rid=944 and submit a resume, and cover letter with desired salary
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
Only candidates who respond to these and provide information on their salary requirements will be considered for the position.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
All candidates must already be able to work legally in South Africa.
Application Deadline: 2nd November, 2018