Thanda Job Available for Head of Partnership Development in South Africa Dec 2018
We are a community-based organisation that provides innovative solutions for sustainable development. We aim to create safer, stronger communities by providing educational and skills-building opportunities to individuals.
Our mission is to empower people to create positive change – change in individuals, change in their communities and eventually changes that impact the world.
Job Title: Head of Partnership Development
Location: Hibberdene, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
Duration: Full-Time Position
The Head of Partnership Development is a key leadership team member and an active participant in making decisions that help drive strategy and innovation at Thanda. The position will provide leadership for a team, working together to develop and implement comprehensive fundraising strategies focused on identifying, cultivating and leveraging financial and in-kind support for Thanda’s mission.
The ideal candidate for the Head of Partnership Development position will be mission-focused, relationship-oriented, a collaborator, results-driven, detailed oriented, change resilient, a continuous learner, and able to take initiative. In partnership with Executive Director, this position is responsible for development and implementation of fundraising activities that forge and maintain relationships to build upon the Thanda’s visibility, impact and financial resources. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Head of Partnership Development will participate in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives in addition to problem-solving. He/she works within the guidelines, policies and mission of the organization and is accountable and responsible for specific projects, as assigned.
Remuneration: NGO sector related and commiserate with experience
The ideal candidate for this job will be someone who can develop strategic plans for attracting partners (individuals, corporates, and foundations) and who can create new and innovative ways to engage with our partners. This role will require high levels of responsibility, energy, and enthusiasm.
Thanda was founded in 2008 and is changing the way people see themselves in the rural community of Mtwalume on the South Coast of KZN. Our innovative Early Childhood Development, After-School, Organic Farming, and Creative Learning Programmes work directly with over 1200 individuals daily. Visit www.thanda.org to find out more about our programmes and impact.
The position will have at least two direct reports who focus on communications, marketing, volunteer engagement, and an annual fund campaign, and may manage volunteers as well from time to time. Additionally, this position is directly responsible for soliciting/securing major gifts and with the assistance of a grant-writing consultant, meeting an annual fundraising goal of approximately R9M.
- Develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy each year
- Manage the implementation and evaluation of all Thanda’s fundraising activities
- Cultivate and enrich relationships with partners
- Assist with administrative and other tasks as delegated by Executive Director.
Develop a comprehensive fundraising strategy each year
- Set strategy for fundraising annually to ensure that entire organizational budget will be funded
- Establish and implement the infrastructure needed to meet monthly, quarterly and annual targets for revenue (cash and in-kind) through contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Collaborate with leadership team to analyze budget trends that impact implementation of sustainable, scalable and effective approaches to achieving the organization’s mission
- Expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives
Manage the implementation and evaluation of all Thanda’s fundraising activities
- Hire and manage qualified staff that carries out fundraising, marketing, and communications activities
- Direct, plan and coordinate the work of the staff including supervision, coaching, evaluation, training and team-building
- Compile monthly, quarterly and annual fundraising statistics and develop reports for staff, board and stakeholders
- Identify and execute strategies that systematically and effectively strengthen the organization’s overall fundraising capacity
- Provide guidance and oversight for implementation of a major donor cultivation and stewardship program
- Represent the organization on local and regional committees, when appropriate
- Organize and attend weekly team, departmental or leadership meetings to ensure proactive planning, inter-organizational collaboration and effective communication
- Actively participate in sharing the mission, vision and values of the organization, internally and externally, creating a culture of active philanthropy for and through all staff
- Provide accurate and timely activity and pipeline reports and revenue forecasts
- Establish departmental policies and procedures
- Oversee income analysis of U.S. and international gifts
- Manage department budget
- Liaise with U.S. fiscal sponsor
Cultivate and enrich relationships with partners
- Cultivate new relationships with potential funders and donors
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with existing funders and donors
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Superior ability to develop and sustain positive relationships with donors
- Ability to manage and partner with Thanda leadership and staff
- Ability to conduct prospect research
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with ability to manage multiple tasks on tight timelines
- Results-oriented with a friendly, collaborative approach and a team-oriented style
- Highly proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of development principles, fundraising techniques and ethics
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Access to a vehicle to attend donor meetings, events and activities; good driving record
- Willingness to travel, if necessary
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- Advanced knowledge of CRM databases (preferred)
To apply: Please send your CV (max 3 pages) and a one page cover letter (explaining why you are interested in working at Thanda, and how your skills are relevant to job description) to email@example.com Please specify that you are applying for the “Head of Partnership Development” role in the subject line of your email
Application Deadline: 2 January 2019
Please do not call our offices. If you have questions, please ask them via email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you not hear back from us by 15 January 2019, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.