The Citizen Justice Network (CJN) Job Opening in South Africa March 2018
The Citizen Justice Network (CJN) is an award-winning media innovation that trains community paralegals to be radio journalists, the community paralegals are established, trusted activists and fighters for social change in their communities. CJN empowers them with journalism skills necessary to help their communities and assist with access to justice. CJN is about helping rural community members produce their own radio stories.
Job Title: Editorial Intern
Job Location: Johannesburg.
Salary: Competitive monthly stipend
Start date: As soon as possible
This is a six months’ contract with an option to renew once.
- Work daily over the phone with our paralegal journalists to help them produce stories and programming for their local radio stations
- Take charge of what the advice offices need and any ongoing training they might require to produce these stories
- Write blog posts and handle social media accounts
- Some travel
- Car licence necessary
- Collate information in a systematic format and manage the flow of stories. Be responsible for an ongoing set of deliverables
- Work as the second member of a newly formed project in an exciting, vibrant journalism department
- A Bachelor’s degree
- African languages
- A keen interest in social justice
- Understanding how to create efficient editorial processes, particularly in radio
- Ability to create and maintain filing and administration systems
- Ability to multi-task and work to deadlines
- Willingness to understand the NGO sector
- Contactable references
- Interest in paralegal advice offices and/or community radio would be advantageous
Submit a letter of motivation, CV and two referees to Zandile Mashaba, Project Coordinator at Zandile.Mashaba@wits.ac.za