Planact Job Opportunity in South Africa March 2019
Current open jobs : Planact Programmes Coordinator employment vacancy
Recruitment vacancy : Planact Programmes Coordinator job
Planact is based in Johannesburg. It is a public benefit organisation involved in social justice issues. It provides support to previously marginalised and vulnerable citizens in amplifying their voice to address the long outstanding developmental needs they have faced and continue to face in their livelihoods. Planact focuses on deepening democracy at a local governance level, by: enabling and fostering genuine citizen participation in all local government development processes; advancing access to habitable environments; and linking previously marginalised and vulnerable citizens to economic opportunities.
Job Title: Programmes Coordinator
Job Location: Johannesburg
The Programme Coordinator reports to the Operations Manager and leads grant funding contracts from any of Planact’s three programmes in alignment with the organisation’s vision, mission, strategy, and coordinates programme activities between multiple projects to ensure they align with the organization’s goals.
The position specifically entails engaging municipal officials, councillors and community members, broadly on local governance processes and developing capacity of the three different groups on issues related to municipal transparency and accountability. The position also supports communities to orderly engage in advocacy activities that are targeted to local councils, provincial and national governments, as well as to relevant other government institutions. The position is responsible for minimal research work and concept development.
The work activities include: Capacity development and mentoring of the three groups mentioned above; Brokering relationships with the targeted local municipal officials and councillors and then negotiating a range of issues related to local municipal development processes; Negotiating and Creating a harmonious working relationship between targeted communities and local municipal officials together with councillors; Researching relevant government Policies to understand in depth, where local governance procedures and systems fall short; Researching and understanding gaps in relationship between communities, municipalities and mining companies, and shape ways to improve the way communities can benefit from mining operations that are set in their areas; Drawing up advocacy strategies and implementation plans; Writing progress reports of projects where the individual is in lead; Contributing pieces of writings to Planact’s bi-monthly News Journal and Planact’s Annual Programme Report; Developing a comprehensive annual plan for the work above.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A post-graduate degree in Political Science / Social Sciences / Built Environment / Humanities or equivalent.
- Minimum of four years relevant working experience preferably in an NGO environment or eight years not in an NGO sector but working on related subjects.
- Project management expertise.
- A sound understanding of local government/governance, urban development, local economic development, settlement development and/or community development issues.
- An understanding of national, provincial and local government policies and processes related to the issues above will be an added advantage.
- Computer literacy.
- Tolerance on diversity.
- Project resources management.
- Work output management.
- Analytical and concept development.
- Communication and negotiation.
- Report writing.
- Conflict solving.
Key Performance Areas
- Project planning and implementation [15%]
- Research [15%]
- Capacity development to targeted constituencies [20%]
- Mentoring and supporting project partners [20%]
- Project monitoring, evaluation and reporting [15%]
- Information gathering, advocacy and network building [15%]
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae and a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Attention of theOperations Manager.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.